Univ.-Prof. Dr. Andrea Gröppel-Klein
Chair of Marketing – Institute of Consumer and Behavioural Research
Campus, Building A5 4
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Andrea Gröppel-Klein is Chair of Marketing and Director of the Institute of Consumer & Behavioural Research at Saarland University (founded by Werner Kroeber-Riel, 1969) since 2006. She received her award-winning PhD at the University of Paderborn. After her habilitation in 1996 (awarded with the “Büropa-Preis of the Stifterverband der Deutschen Wissenschaft”, DM 10.000,-), she was Chair of International Marketing, Consumer Behaviour, and Retailing, at the European University Viadrina, Frankfurt (Oder). 2001 she was offered a chair at the University of Trier that she declined.
Since 1991, she was Visiting Professor at the Universities of Stockholm (Sweden), Innsbruck (Austria), Vienna (Austria), Basel (Switzerland), and Valencia (Spain). From 1997 to 2014, she was Faculty-Member of the EDEN Doctoral Seminar on Consumer Behaviour of the European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management (EIASM) in Brussels as well as Faculty Member of the EMAC-Doctoral Colloquium (Track Consumer Behavior). She is an active member of the Association for Consumer Research and in 2001, she was Conference Chair of the European ACR Conference in Berlin.
Nach der mit dem „Büropa-Preis“ des Stifterverbandes für die Deutsche Wissenschaft ausgezeichneten Habilitation war sie von 1996-2006 Inhaberin des Lehrstuhls für Internationales Marketing, Konsum- und Handelsforschung an der Europa-Universität Viadrina, Frankfurt (Oder). 2001 erhielt sie einen Ruf auf die Stelle einer Universitätsprofessorin an die Universität Trier, den sie nicht annahm. Seit 1991 hat Frau Gröppel-Klein Gastprofessuren an den Universitäten Stockholm, Innsbruck, Wien und Basel inne. Seit 1997 ist sie Faculty-Mitglied beim EDEN-Doktorandenseminar für Konsumentenverhalten des European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management (EIASM) in Brüssel.
From 2006-2007 she was President of the German speaking Scientific Marketing Community of University Marketing Professors in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. From 2009-2011, she was Editor-in-Chief of Marketing ZFP & Marketing JRM, and she still is member of its editorial board as well as of other scientific journals. Andrea Gröppel-Klein has published numerous articles in international journals such as Journal of Experimental Psychology, Marketing Letters, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, Advances in Consumer Research, Journal of Business Research, Brain Research Bulletin, Journal of Strategic Marketing, Marketing JRM, DBW, European Sport Management Quarterly, Journal of Sport Management, International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, Public Health Nutrition, or Appetite.
She received funding from the European Union (for two collaborative projects of the 7th Framework on the relevance of nutrition and health information on food products) as well as for several scientific projects of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF). She is also interested in transfer activities: She was member of the advisory board for Knowledge and Technology Transfer of the Federal State of Brandenburg and member of an expert advisory board of the Federal Ministry of Family, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (BMFSJ) that analysed (among other topics) consumer behaviour of elderly consumers and composed the 6th “Altenbericht” of the German Government. She has been involved in a large number of projects with various enterprises, especially from the consumer goods sector, for example Bayer, Beiersdorf bdf, Ferrero, Henkel, GfK, Globus, Mercedes Benz, Villeroy & Boch and several smaller firms.
- Groeppel-Klein, Andrea, Jennifer Helfgen and Anja Spilski (2015): “Self-fulfilling Prophecies” – The Impact of Age Stereotypes and Patronizing Speech on Consumers’ Cognitive Performance , in: Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 42, ed. June Cotte and Stacy Wood, forthcoming.
- Gröppel-Klein, Andrea (2014): The Problem of Consumer Sovereignty and the Concept of Consumer Democracy, in: Beyond Sustainability, hrsg. von Christian Scholz und Joachim Zentes, Baden-Baden: Nomos, 109-121
- Groeppel-Klein, Andrea und Friederike Kamm (2014): Space Utilisation and Retail Store Image: How the Arrangement of Organic Foods Impacts on the Overall Image of Retail Stores, in: Marketing ZFP – Journal of Research and Management, 36 (2), 69-81
- Kroeber-Riel, W.; Gröppel-Klein, A., 2013: Konsumentenverhalten, 10. Aufl., München.
- Koenigstorfer, Joerg , Andrea Groeppel-Klein, and Friederike Kamm (2014): Healthy Food Decision-Making in Response to Traffic Light Color-Coded Nutrition Labeling, in: Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 33 (1), 65-77.
- Groeppel-Klein, Andrea und Benedikt Bartmann (2009): Turning Bias and Walking Patterns: Consumers’ Orientation in a Discount Store, in: Marketing – Journal of Research and Management, 29 (1), 41–53.
- Gröppel-Klein, A.; Germelmann, C. (Hrsg.), 2009: Medien im Marketing, Optionen der Unternehmenskommunikation, Wiesbaden.
- Groeppel-Klein, Andrea (2005): Arousal and consumer in-store behavior, in: Brain Research Bulletin, 67 (5), 428–437.
- Gröppel-Klein, A; Esch, F.-R. (Hrsg.), 2001: European Advances in Consumer Research, Ausgabe 5, Valdosta, GA: Association for Consumer Research.